Tuesday, July 3, 2012

ISM 10

Back in May, I wrapped up this piece I did for ISM 10 as part of ISM: A Community Project, a non-profit arts organization.  This year, ISM celebrates 10 years of projects and publishing with a colossal gallery exhibition, a monumental book, and the announcement of the Arts Advocacy and Community Architect awards.
I was asked to be part of their 'ism' show and was told to define and illustrate a word that ended in "-ism" through the medium of their choice.  Examples were liberalism, humanism, anarchism, idealism, modernism, racism, realism.

It was a really challenging project because I didn't want to use too popular of a word that would be too obvious or simple.  As I was researching, I came across the word "Aristotelianism" - the philosophy of Aristotle.  That reminded me of one of his quotes, "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." 

After thinking of that, I starting picturing gears in my head - like how all the pieces of a watch or clock have to work together in order to function.  As a kid, I used to think there were little robots or people that lived inside objects and that's what made them work.  So I wound up creating this piece - the inside of a clock with three robots as its caretakers. 

Hope you guys get a chance to drop by the show!  The exhibition is free to the public. 


Opening Reception – Saturday, July 7, from 7:00pm until 10:00pm
Awards Gala – Saturday, July 7, 7:30pm
Book Release/Closing Reception – Saturday, August 4, from 7:00pm until 10:00pm

For a list of contributors please visit: ISMcommunity.org/ism10




No comments: