The conference was held for 3 days and featured lots and lots of speakers. They ranged from agents to art directors to editors to authors. They had well established and newly established authors and illustrators speak and everyone was just as inspiring as the last.
Here a few of my biggest take-aways:
- Find your 'voice'- "The only value you have is your individual voice." - Justin Chanda
- Tell the story only you can tell - "It's not about knowing what to do; it's doing what what you already know."
- You can't just be good, you have to be great. - "It only takes one great thing to be remembered and change the world." - Stephen Chbosky
- Do better. - "Last year's success is this year's mediocrity." - Felicia Frazier
- Reject is part of the process. Focus and Persevere. One author had over 126 rejection letters before she got her first deal and this year she was being honored for an award! So as Judy Blume said, "Don't let anyone discourage you. If they try, get angry, not depressed."
If you ever get a chance to attend, please do. It's absolutely worth your money and time. Think of it as 3 day pep talk that will get your motors running again.